If you haven’t started planning your winter getaway yet, now might be the perfect time to start. Often described as the “doldrums of winter” the months of January and February can often seemingly go on forever. If all that snow and ice has you down to the last straw. It might be time a winter escape. Whether it’s a trip with your sweetie for Valentine’s Day or a quick getaway for some family fun in the sun, here are a few highly recommended winter travel destinations.
- Martin: The heat of the sand warming your body and the bright colors of the sun-kissed flora all around are just two small reasons to escape to St. Martin. Sea diving to view beautiful coral caves and tropical fish along is sure to lift away the winter blues. More adventuresome travelers can try horseback riding or hiking in the mountains. End your day with the perfectly lit sunset dinner and dancing the night away.
- Barts: The white-sand beaches are uncrowded and its colorful boutiques and beach bars are waiting. The island of St. Bart’s has a feeling of an older French era with gingerbread cottages and exquisite restaurants, which rank among the Caribbean’s best.
- Belize: Belize is the place to go if you want a mix of the Caribbean life, ancient cultures and jungle exploration. Spend your day exploring think marine life by scuba diving or explore jungle areas which are home to Mayan ruins.
- Crete: There’s nothing quite like an escape to Crete, the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. This island offers remnants of brilliant civilizations, mountains, valleys and, of course, pristine beaches. One visit to this rich, intriguing area and you’ll notice a hearty, generous spirit in the folks in every area.
- Cape Town: A beach filled with penguins and no snow to be seen? It happens in Cape Town, South Africa. The area also boasts natural wonders like Table Mountain National Park and a historical botanical garden not to mention classic beach vacation activities like surfing, paragliding and soaking up the sun. For travelers who enjoy exploring, there are many charming towns, villages and bucolic estates and winelands to discover.
- Hainan Island: This Island is a special mix of beauty with its botanical gardens coconut trees and visits to Monkey Island. Enjoy pristine nature sites intermixed with Buddhism and Taoism culture. Major performances during your stay may even include water ballet, diving, singing and dancing.
For more warm-weather travel destinations view our infographic.