So, she said yes. Or, maybe YOU said yes. Yes to sharing a home, a partner by your side and maybe building a family. Yes to building a life. But before the wonderful world of “forever” begins, most couples think about planning a wedding and of course, the honeymoon. Sometimes, your first trip as a married couple takes you half a world away, and other times it’s a local destination that beckons. Either way, remembering to say “I do” to covering your sure-to-be-made memories could help keep your honeymoon from becoming a nightmare.
Here are a few things to consider:
- It’s 1 p.m. and you and your new spouse arrive at the airport for a connecting flight, only to find that your flight has been cancelled. Who can assist with finding new flights to start your honeymoon on time?
- Your bag was lost with your honeymoon wardrobe inside. You need help locating your bag as soon as possible, and you don’t want to worry about your bags the entire time they are missing. Moreover, if your bags are delayed who will reimburse you for covered necessities? If they are stolen, who will reimburse you for the contents?
- During your honeymoon, you realize your passport and wallet have been stolen. Where do you turn for assistance in obtaining emergency cash, and how will you get your passport replaced?
- Unfortunately you didn’t see it coming. An accident left you and your new spouse in a foreign country without any way of communicating with people to get appropriate medical care. You wonder if the care you are receiving is suitable. Who will help coordinate your care or, if necessary, order a medical evacuation? Who is able to reimburse you for the medical bills?
- The quaint Italian restaurant looked so charming. How did you come down with a rough bout of food poisoning so serious that you are certain you’ll have to miss a day or two of your pre-planned activities? What happens to your non-refundable deposits or pre-payments?
- The cruiseline or tour operator you chose for your honeymoon has recently gone bankrupt. Who will pay for your non-refundable expenses? Who is able to assist in getting you to your honeymoon destination as planned?
- Three weeks before your scheduled honeymoon, a terrorist incident occurs in the city to which you are planning to visit. Who will reimburse you if you want to cancel your trip? Who offers security assistance if you are already on your trip and a serious incident occurs?
- You are at a beach resort and you are forced to evacuate due to a hurricane, which has made your resort uninhabitable. Who can assist you in being evacuated? Who will reimburse you for your lost vacation investment?
- You want to impress your new bride/groom by having reservations made at one of Italy’s finest restaurants and a limousine waiting to whisk the two of you away. Who can you call 24/7 to make the arrangements on your behalf?
While the scenarios above may seem far-fetched, the fact is, even the most thought-out honeymoons don’t always go according to plan. Try as you might, there will always be flight cancellations, delays, lost luggage and medical emergencies. That’s why it’s important to say “I do” to covering your trip. After all, it only happens once in a lifetime!