During this busy time of year, we’d like to take the time to wish you all a healthy and safe holiday season. If you’re traveling in the near future, here are some quick tips on how to help avoid travel delays and make your trip go smoothly.
- If traveling by car, gas up the night before you leave so you are less hurried in the morning.
- Have phone numbers for everything: your hotel, your car rental agency, your airline, your destination. Put all contact numbers in your cell phone or on a piece of paper in your wallet or purse for easy access in case of delay or emergency.
- Get to the airport early. Most airports recommend arriving 2 hours early to ensure a smooth and timely transition through security.
- Know the airports through which you’ll be traveling. Study airport maps to determine where you are going and how to get there so you experience less hassle.
- Pack wisely. Try to fit everything into your carry-on if possible. This makes for an easy transition during layovers and less of a chance that the airline will lose your luggage.
- Bring activities to occupy the kids. Books, magazines, an MP3 player, some healthy snacks — whatever you need to get through potential delays and back up if the kids get bored.
- Don’t wrap presents before you travel. If you are taking a flight to your travel destination, don’t wrap the presents. Travel may damage the wrapping and worse yet; the TSA may need to unwrap any questionable-looking gifts to determine their safety. Wait until you’ve arrived at your destination to wrap your presents.
- Pack a travel insurance plan. A travel insurance plan can cover you for trip interruption, flight delay/cancellation, medical expenses and even offers 24/7 assistance services to rebook flights and hotels on your behalf.
Got any more helpful travel tips? Share them with us!
From our Travel Guard family to yours – we wish you a very happy holiday!